Monday, November 17, 2008

Home-made Loh Mai Kai

While browsing through some food blogs recently, I was inspired to try making Loh Mai Kai. Precious Pea and Food Made Simple shared their experiences making this popular dim sum item and since I had a packet of glutinuous rice in my kitchen, I decided to give this a try last weekend.

I tweaked the recipe a bit, based on my limited culinary experience in making Loh Mai Kai, hehe! Translated loosely, Loh Mai Kai means “Glutinuous Rice Chicken”… and this was my version of it:

Ingredients:
1 kg glutinuous rice (soaked overnight)
500g chicken - chopped into pieces (I used boneless chicken thigh)
200g Chinese sausages - sliced
300g dried shitake mushroom (soaked overnight)

Sliced chinese sausages


To marinade Chicken:

3 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp chinese wine

2 tbsp ginger juice

1 tbsp dark soya sauce

2 tbsp light soya sauce

2 tsp salt

1 tbsp sesame oil

Dash of white pepper

Marinate chicken pieces for at least 3 hours before use


Sauce for the Glutinuous Rice:

3 bowls of boiled water (I used the regular Chinese rice bowls)
3 tbsp oyster sauce

3 tsp salt

2 tbsp dark soya sauce

2 tbsp light soya sauce

2 tbsp sugar

1 tbsp sesame oil

Dash of white pepper

4 shallots - sliced
1 tbsp chopped garlic

2 tbsp oil


Method:

Steam the soaked glutinuous rice for 30 minutes. Loosen the steamed rice and leave aside.

Stir fry the mushroom and chicken in some oil in a pan/wok for 1 minute. Chicken should be just half-cooked. Dish out.

Heat up the 2 tbsp oil in pan/wok, fry the chopped garlic and sliced shallots. Then pour in all the ingredients for the Sauce, mix well. Pour this sauce into the loosened steamed rice and mix well.

Brush the sides of bowls (I used Chinese rice bowls) before arranging the sliced Chinese sausage, mushroom and chicken and then topping up with the glutinuous rice.

Steam the bowls of Loh Mai Kai for 40 minutes and then ENJOY!

*If you use the regular Chinese rice bowls like I did, 1 kg of rice will make about 18 Loh Mai Kai.

So what did I do with 18 Loh Mai Kai’s?? Well, I gave some to my neighbour and brought some to the office for colleagues and the rest … still in the fridge, haha!

26 comments:

email2me said...

It would taste even better if you replace the LAP CHEONG with LAP MEI pork strips

Ciki said...

give me la, next time.. lol:D

Rebecca Saw said...

ya ya ya..courier one over here too! haha..
Looks yummy-licious alright! U so rajin la with all the cooking and steaming and frying!

J2Kfm said...

perfect as breakfast. or light snack. one of the musthaves in dimsum restaurant!

of course, NOT 18 at one go.

Unknown said...

nextime make for me and i ta pau back to Abu Dhabi...

Unknown said...

can keep till i come back next friday ka?

mistipurple said...

looks delicious. so clever wor.

Precious Pea said...

Yum yum!!! You can try marinade the chicken with rose wine instead of chinese wine next time. Very nice aroma with the rose wine.

PureGlutton said...

email2me: Hmm...lap mei pork strips? OK, will try to get those next time! Thanks for the tip.

PureGlutton said...

ciki: Can... just leave your contact details :-)

PureGlutton said...

nomad: Courier? by the time reach u maybe become ham chin peng already, haha! For the sake of food, must rajin a bit la!

PureGlutton said...

j2kfm: Wahh... if eat all 18 at one go sure land up in hospital leh! :P

PureGlutton said...

derek: Can always make more when you are around la... easy job nia!

PureGlutton said...

P.Pea: Hmmm... rose wine? I thot that one must reserve for candlelight dinner mah?

Tummythoz said...

Looks delicious. I'm a hardcore lohmaikai fan. Where u stay again? hehe. Drools.

Big Boys Oven said...

oh something I would not let go if I can get my hands onto! hahahaaha make such you had them kept safe! lol!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

wah..im sure u have a long online queue for tat 16 loh mai kais lor..

Babe_KL said...

hehe count me in the queue!

the rose wine pea mentioned is mei kwei loh, chinese rose wine not angmoh one :p

PureGlutton said...

tummythoz: wink wink... very nearby only! Just a phonecall away!

PureGlutton said...

BBO: Ya, kept safely...in people's tummies by now, LOL! All sapu liao!

PureGlutton said...

Joe: No need to Q la... can make this easily... moe mun thai!

PureGlutton said...

Babe: Ohh... got chinese rose wine also kah? Where to get this?

Rebecca Saw said...

hhmmm..based on all the comments you got yourself quite a bit of orders alrei..so when ur making them again? *wink*

mysimplefood said...

Glad my post inspired you to make Loh Mai Kai....I have been thinking of making it again this weekend!!!

PureGlutton said...

nomadgourmand: Hmm... i just bought another packet of pulut rice! See when the mood strikes la, hehe!

PureGlutton said...

mysimplefood: Ya, thanks for the inspiration, hehe!