Monday, November 24, 2008

Home-made Crispy Roast Pork

We have always been a “porky-loving” family. And Roast Pork (siew yook) is one of our top favourites - every restaurant/makan place we go, if there is roast pork, we never fail to order it.

So, having been inspired by some great roast pork recipes and try-outs by some floggers - namely Camemberu and Precious Pea, I decided to give this a try last weekend. I followed Camemberu’s recipe as it was less complicated.

I used the simple marinade recommended, mainly:

Salt

Pepper

5-spice powder

I rubbed all the above onto the 1kg slab of pork belly and then let the pork sit in the fridge for a few hours. Precious Pea’s version had hers kept in the fridge for 3 days!

Before roasting I stabbed the pork skin as much as possible - so much so that the fork I used had bent! If you have a skewer, that would be a better tool. Warning: Poking raw pork skin is really hard work!!

I also heeded Camemberu’s advice to put some vegetables under the roasting pan, so I cut up some potatoes and carrots…

The juice and fats from the roasting pork dripped onto them and they were absolutely yummy!

I roasted the pork in 250 deg. Celcius for about an hour. After about 30 minutes, I could see the skin has already “risen” to give that crispy effect.


The sides were more "burned" than the centre. This being my first attempt, I now know that perhaps I should lower the temperature a bit and let the meat roast a bit longer so that the centre part will also "rise" well.

When I sliced the meat off, I could feel the crispiness as the knife went through it...

(sorry for the kinda yellowish pics - this was done at night and obviously my kitchen lights are not meant for good photography, hehe!)

For the next attempt, I think I should try some of the other tips given... like keeping the meat longer in the fridge and also putting a layer of salt on top of the skin before roasting.

Anyway, even though the skin was not 100% "risen", we polished off the siew yook with no hesitation, haha!

Warning: When you roast this at home, make sure all your windows and doors are open as the wonderful fragrance of roasting pork will permeate every nook and corner of your house for hours! I could still smell it later that night up in my bedroom!!!

35 comments:

Unknown said...

wah look very nice ler..tonite i try mine ...actually i tried it b4 liao...all my colleagues say damn good wor..

Anonymous said...

Roast pork goes well with roasted apples too...

Ciki said...

looks good enough for me!

Bangsar-bAbE said...

Dammit...now I'm hungry. o_0

PureGlutton said...

derek: roast pork is good anytime, anywhere, hehe! I'm sure yours is yummy too!

PureGlutton said...

cleffairy: Hmm...apples eh? Havent tried roasting that with meat before. Ok, will try that the next round!

PureGlutton said...

ciki: Thanks... but must still improve - to perfect the crispiness factor!

PureGlutton said...

bangsar-babe: Hehe...yeah, looking at food pics has that effect!

Tummythoz said...

Very yummy looking.

Rebecca Saw said...

wahh..looks soo gooood! Did u make any special sauce to eat it with?

J2Kfm said...

eh so ngam i just ate roast pork! =P

one that stayed crispy from noon til now. hmmm ... must be some secret recipe.

kudos on your 1st attempt

Anonymous said...

who care about the light, next time u do the "sui yuk" call me to come over, I'll bring beer over...haha...cheers!!!

Precious Pea said...

Do try my method and leave it longer in the chiller to ensure the skin is totally dried. Once i marinated only overnite and the skin didn't rise up that well especially the middle part.

Yours actually looks very delicious. Somemore with pork oil infused potatoes! Yums!

Anonymous said...

wah...u can also make 'siew yook' ah?? i salute u!!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

that is 1 very huge piece of pork!!! omg..home made siew yuk..does it cost a bomb to buy that cut of meat of that size?

HairyBerry said...

woah! another siew yoke post!!! best nyer!! :)

very good looking siew yoke there. just a drizzle of soy sauce and it'll definitely go well with rice! yummy!!

Anonymous said...

wow i love roast pork! good job! tks for visiting my blog too..

i'm not sure if Breadou is available in your place.. but you can try Action City.

PureGlutton said...

tummythoz: thanks :)... and very cholesterol-inducing & fattening too, LOL!

PureGlutton said...

nomadgourmand: thanks :) No, i didn't make any sauce to go with this - we just ate it as it was - hot & crispy, hehe!

PureGlutton said...

J2Kfm: Thanks... ipoh has lots of great-tasting siew yooks, i know!

PureGlutton said...

kennhyn: Hey, thanks for dropping by! I checked yr blog - wow, great BEER stuff there! Siew took goes well with beer? I thought red wine would be a better choice, no?

PureGlutton said...

P.Pea: Thanks :) Ya i know u kept yours in the fridge for 3 days! Dunno if i have that patience or not, LOL! But certainly worth a try to ensure 100% crispy skin!

PureGlutton said...

chrisau: Yeah, it's actually easier than it seemed! Just marinate & roast, lol! Try it.

PureGlutton said...

Joe: That piece was just above 1kg, i think and it cost about RM25. Somehow, siew yook won't look right if it's a small piece, hehe!

PureGlutton said...

Nic: thanks, we're all porky fans here :-) The 1st few slices didn't need any sauce, they went straight down our tummies from the oven. After that only we ate the rest with rice!

PureGlutton said...

constance: Thanks for visiting :) Another siew yook fan eh? Ahh... but where is Action City?!

Little Inbox said...

Wow, this in interesting! I want to try this out soon. I plan to cut the pork belly into smaller strips, so that it can cook faster. Dunno whether this theory work or not?

Princess Hadrianus said...

wow, it looks really yummy..hehe, salivating already lor...i have not tried doing this at home. maybe i can officiate my oven by preparing something like this :P

PureGlutton said...

Little inbox: Hmm...i'm sure smaller strips of pork will work just as well!

PureGlutton said...

Princess Hadrianus: Do try - it's really quite easy!

mysimplefood said...

Wow!!! It look yummy!! Siew Yoke all the way!! I want to eat now and it's after midnight. Well done!

PureGlutton said...

mysimplefood: Thanks :) Make some & store it, then u can have siew yook at anytime u like, hehe!

Anonymous said...

wow...what a yummy looking piece of siew yok. Definitely no need to buy when you can roast such a nice piece of meat yourself.

PureGlutton said...

ck lam: Thanks...yeah, if i rajin to roast this regularly lah... and also make sure got people eat it up leh!

Unknown said...

I have never tried this before. Maybe after seeing this, I might make an attempt to do it. So the trick is just piercing the skin, huh? I wonder if it would be easier puncturing the skin with the fish scale scraper? Sure is sharper than a fork!! Ha ha!!I have even smoked meats but this I got to do. You made it look so easy.