Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Chicken Rice in USJ14

A few months ago I blogged about the Curry Laksa in USJ14 in this kopitiam called Mei Sek. This is a corner coffeeshop in the row of shops near the fruit stalls in USJ14. I was told that in the evening, that same kopitiam has a Chicken Rice stall which is very good.

So that was how one evening some weeks ago we decided to give the Chicken a try, haha! They start at about 6pm and their serving crew is unmistakable - they have yellow & red uniform - very professional-looking with caps and all!

I must say their poached chicken - and they only have poached ones - was pretty good: smooth & tender. Dunk them into some pounded ginger and chilli sauce, this will surely satiate your chicken pangs.

You can have a choice of kampung chicken or town/pasar chicken, the former being more flavourful and of course, more expensive.

You can opt to have their oily rice or kwayteow to go with the poached chicken. Being the true blue Ipohite that I am, I of course opted for the Soup Kwayteow or Hor-fun as we like to call it. It came with a few strands of kuchai and limp taugeh. I would say the kwayteow in Kar Heong was better.... nevertheless it provided the necessary carbs for this meal.

For variety, you can order their Fookchow Fishballs - smooth fishpaste encasing some minced pork, served in seaweed soup... good source of iodine, no?


And if you need some fibre, you have a few choices of greenies - I had my fave baby lettuce, slathered in oyster sauce and with generous toppings of fried shallots.

And that is what I call a simple but satisfying true Malaysian meal of the chicken kind :-))


My rating: 6/10

26 comments:

Sean said...

gosh, those chickens hanging on the display look like they're holding their own necks and bowing their heads! the meat looks tasty though. will try to find this place. the only part of usj that i'm kinda familiar with is taipan =)

Anonymous said...

the chicken looks really good...make me feel like having some truly Ipoh Tauge Chicken

J2Kfm said...

hahaha... LOL to Sean's remarks.
how true, the chicks looked as though they're bowing... or something.

qwazymonkey said...

Hmmm new place for Chicken Rice. McCutie would be happy to hear this

worldwindows said...

Glistening skin and tender meat, who can resist.

Rebecca Saw said...

yup this is the CR my fren was gushing abt. But since its only at nite..and Subang is like atr ctry ;p ..I've not been ther yet!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

god u sure can perk up ppl cravings for chicken rice hor..

Ciki said...

again chicken rice! must be a sign to eat chicken rice!

PureGlutton said...

Sean: Looking again at the chicken pic... hmmm, u r right - they do look like they're bowing, LOL! Easy to spot this place: from the Summit cross-road traffic lights, go straight as if heading for Puchong... the coffeeshop is on the left, facing the main road, near where the fruit stalls are. Dont even need to turn into Taipan.

PureGlutton said...

SimpleGirl: The chicken was good... but i didnt try their taugeh, except for the little bit tat was incl in the kwayteow.

PureGlutton said...

J2Kfm: Hehe, the chicken pic was fascinating eh?!

PureGlutton said...

Qwazymonkey & World Windows: Give it a try if you're in the Subang area during dinner time!

PureGlutton said...

TNG: Well, if u ever have CR pangs and happen to be in the vicinity, it's worth a try!

PureGlutton said...

Joe, Ciki: Well, CR is a firm m'sian favourite, lol!

thule a.k.a leo said...

I don't set any standard when it comes to chicken rice.. really!!!
For me, as long as the chicken meat is firm and succulent... I just down into my stomach and go!
USJ14 is almost at the end of UEP Subang Jaya! One of the most congested place in town

Reanaclaire said...

which is better? ipoh kam hor or this one? oh, have u tried kam hor in ipoh garden? next time if u stay overnight then u can have a try... it opens at night only...

Wilson Ng said...

Chicken looks good!

How much is da pricing?

PureGlutton said...

Leo: USJ14 is not so congested la... not as bad as Taipan!

PureGlutton said...

Claire: I have not tried Kam Hor yet - hopefully next trip back la.

PureGlutton said...

Wilson: I can't remember the exact pricing now... but I would say it's reasonable la.

mycookinghut said...

Chicken rice!! Love it! :)

UnkaLeong said...

I must ask dad where it is he goes to have his chicken rice fix, nearby your area some more. Will get rough directions and pass to you soon :) But I remember it's located in a coffee shop opposite a police station. Hahaha :P

PureGlutton said...

mycookinghut: It's a popular m'sian favourite, hehe!

PureGlutton said...

Unka: Are u talking abt KK? I do know tat coffeeshop in front of the police station but i'd say the CR there is so-so only ;-)

Timothy Low said...

Chicken looks smooth. It's been a while since I gone back to USJ. I used to spend most of my time in USJ since I live there but not anymore since I moved out 3 years ago. Missing all the good food there. ...

PureGlutton said...

Hi Tim, yeah I moved out of USJ too but still go back there to look for food, haha!