Friday, October 16, 2009

Best Lorbak in Penang!

*Pureglutton comes in and sweeps away the cobwebs and dust covering every corner of this blog*


OK, now that I have done some housecleaning here (I know, I've been MIA for some time, lol!), I better put up the pics of the best Lorbak we had in Penang, before the pics expire or get lost in my archives, haha!

Right... this was on the last day of our Penang makan trip. It was a rainy wet morning.... when I called CK Lam, she advised that we really really must try the Best Lorbak in Penang! The boys were totally enthusiastic when I mentioned "Lorbak"... so with the GPS and CK's directions (it's near Cititel Hotel!), we found our way to Kafe Kheng Pin located at 80, Penang Road.

I must admit I don't have the best pic here to capture the total deliciousness of this Lorbak... do hop over to CK Lam's post for better yummy pics!

When you enter this old-world kopitiam, you can see that every table will have at least a plate of these yummy fried fritters....

The stall selling the Lorbak is certainly the star attraction of this place and you have to wait quite a bit for your turn while the stall-owners frantically fry the batter-covered yummies in the huge wok of hot oil. I think we had about 3 plates of these - an assortment of meat/fish/seafood rolls, squids, prawn fritters, tofu etc! The crispy pieces disappear as soon as the plate is placed on our table!

Of course we also ordered other stuff while we were there - 3 plates of Lorbak were not enough to fill our growling tummies. So, let me show you what else we had...

Wantan Mee - with mushroom, cha siew and shredded chicken ... average, I would say...

Ahhh... the Char Kway Teow was pretty good! According to LL & NL, this was gooodddd - and they proved it by ordering 2 plates! I had a couple of bites and I must say I agreed with the boys - there was enough wok-hei, the taugeh was crunchy and the noodles were very flavourful! They claimed that taste-wise, this is equivalent to the Giant Prawns CKT they had the day before and certainly much much cheaper!

Another good eat was the Chicken Rice. The auntie manning this stall warned me that I had to wait some time for my order. OK fine... so I waited like 20 minutes and still my chicken was not forthcoming. I went over and reminded her... guess what? She had totally forgotten my order even though our table was just behind her stall! Anyway, finally the plate arrived at our table....

... and boy, it was delicious & worth the wait! See the almost-translucent glassy skin of the chicken? - that was so smooth and succulent! The rice could have been tastier - it lacked the chicken oil/onions/garlic flavours but the superbly poached chicken made up for this shortcoming.
Needless to say, my plate of this yummy chicken was hijacked by the boys and we had to order a second plate - and that too was hijacked by them!... haiya!

We definitely will hunt this place down when we next visit Penang - you can be sure of that!

Once again, I'd like to thank CK Lam for introducing this place to us and it was lovely meeting up with her and her professional photographer, hehe!

22 comments:

Rebecca Saw said...

aiyo..i also can be yr Pg guide!

Anyways..good tht u tried the CKT n lorbak here..indeed they are one of the best!

HairyBerry said...

what a feast! it's like one great dish after another, right? hmmm, must remember to check out this place when i'm in penang. great stuff.

Reanaclaire said...

ok will go try one of these days... chicken rice looks good!!

foodbin said...

can see that the Lorbak is good.

minchow said...

Ooh CK Lam did great - this is the ultimate Penang kopitiam, in my opinion. Every stall here is superb - we used to queue for close to an hour under hot sun to ta-pau the chicken rice.

PureGlutton said...

TNG: But, but u are in KL wat!
Yes, those lorbak and CKT were great!

PureGlutton said...

Nic: Yes, pls try - this must be 1 of the all-time favourites in Pg!

PureGlutton said...

Claire: You are now such a Pg-regular, i'm sure you will hv the chance to try this!

PureGlutton said...

Foodbin: Wahaha - so looks are not deceiving eh!

PureGlutton said...

550ml: You not kiddin me - 1 hour??? Wow... you are reallyyy patient, lol! Luckily I didn't have to wait that long... but there were quite a lot of ppl waiting actually!

Pete said...

Agree, the lorbak here is really good!

J2Kfm said...

my absolute fav Lor Bak stall as well.

thule a.k.a leo said...

I'll be staying in Cititel Penang in Nov... yay!! I can practically walk there and eat the lorbak and CKT!!!
Will utilise the short time to taste some of the best food there

trenddude said...

nice foods

Ciki said...

lorbak is the best after gym! too bad its so oily.. but the concept of fried protein is just too good to resist la:P

worldwindows said...

My MIL will stuff me silly with some top-class lorbak. Just can't miss the food from the Balik Pulau side.

PureGlutton said...

Pete: Glad u agree, hehe!

PureGlutton said...

J2Kfm: Ahh... so u agree too!

PureGlutton said...

Leo: Yes, do walk over there - you'll like the food there!

PureGlutton said...

trenddude: Thanks for visiting :-)

PureGlutton said...

Ciki: You can definitely afford to indulge la ;-)

PureGlutton said...

worldwindows: You must tell us where in Balik Pulau!