Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Old Town Kopitiam @ 1Utama

The Old Town Kopitiam outlets seem to have a very strong hold in the Klang Valley as there are quite a number of them around and they seem to be pulling in the crowds as well.

So, the other day, together with a few colleagues, we decided to have an early dinner there. Being Malaysians, "dinner" can just mean anything, right? So...it was kopitiam food for us this time round.

Coffee is a must when you go to kopitiams, right? Here are our iced kopi's...the extra white glass in the middle had extra milk in it. I would say there's really nothing special about the coffees here...I have tasted better coffees in other kopitiams. In fact, I thought my iced kopi was rather bland.

The Brown Toast with Kaya seems to be their special item as almost every table had this. I was rather disappointed with it as there was not enough kaya in it but it had lots of margerine instead! The thick slabs of margerine were almost overpowering... and for someone who doesn't like too much fat in breads, I don't think I will order this again anytime soon.

Their Curry Laksa was quite good and kinda redeemed them! I ordered hor fun and I must say they were very smooth and soft, almost Ipoh-like! The garnishing for the laksa were slices of chicken meat, fishcake, taupok and long beans. The curry broth was lemak (not too jelak) without being too spicy.

My colleague had this Ipoh Hor Fun which I thought was rather plain with just a few slices of prawns and chicken meat topping the dish. They were quite generous with the chives though.
This very-white version of Assam Laksa was nothing to shout about. Even judging by the plain looking soup, you can guess that it's not as piquant as any good assam laksa should be. As you can see, there were no greens (like lettuce leaves, mint leaves) in the bowl - they only gave onions and cucumber (not even pineapples!).


Hmmm...so the verdict, for me...is: I'd only go to this place IF there's really no other kopitiam joint around!

10 comments:

Reanaclaire said...

IN IPOH kopitiams, normally i order toasted bread or nasi lemak..other than these 2, the others are so so only.. somemore, i dont drink coffee, so nothing much attracts me there.. cham if kopitiam waits ppl like me to do biz...

PureGlutton said...

I think there are just too many kopitiams around...and most of them are over-rated! I still prefer those good old original kopitiams in ipoh, hehe!

Unknown said...

nothing beats my wife's cooking, be it curry mee or asam laksa..you ca call them kobi diam!

HairyBerry said...

i was at uncle lim's (mutiara damansara) and curry was kinda bad. so was the asam laksa. and it's so expensive.

i think i'll stick to my neighbourhood kopi tiams :)

PureGlutton said...

Hey derek, lucky you la!
Nic: Ya, like i said, most of these glammed-up kopitiams are over-rated! Wise to stick to neighbourhood coffee-shops!

Apple said...

The iced beverage looks so milky and tempting. *drools*

古墓街第7号當鋪 said...

Brown Toast with Kaya ?
Haven't try it before since i came to UK here =S. Lolx. I seriously miss Old Town Kopitiam's coffee.
Almost 9months didn't try it ><

PureGlutton said...

Hi Apple & Jerome, welcome! Yeah, the iced coffee looked good...better still if u order the "kau" (more concentrated) version!

Anonymous said...

old town is good and not just klang valley, it's actually all over msia. For example, in JB alone, I almost lost count of the outlets. I also been to one in batu pahat!! It's ok, but I find it to be a little too expensive.
The original and humble Ipoh old town still the best!

Uncle Lim in Ikano also so-so only and expensive.
try Wah Nam kopi next time in Ipoh. I had the best kopi there!

Anonymous said...

after the pg rd laksa, went to this air itam market laksa...not the road side one, but inside the market, not so good..the roadside one is still better but too bad very crowded la...