Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Post-CNY

I know CNY has come and gone and I haven't blogged anything here for more than 3 weeks now. So how was everyone's CNY?

Phewww! Am I glad the eating fest has toned down now, hahaha! It's time to work out hard to try to burn off the thousands of calories consumed during the CNY.

It's extra hard to burn off the calories especially when you had something like this for CNY...

Oh yeahhh... somebody gave us a WHOLE Roast Pig!! OMG... I have never chopped up a whole pig before and we did a kinda clumsy job out of it, hehe! The objective was to get it cut up and distributed... I still have a few pieces meat plus 2 legs in my freezer now...

On the 5th day of CNY, I hosted a dinner for relatives... and you know how by the 5th day, everyone would have been feeling "jelak" with all the usual CNY dishes... know what I mean?

So, I had to come up with some not-so-CNY'ish dishes to serve...

Knowing that people would have been tired of steamed fish, I decided to cook this Sliced Garoupa with Ginger & Spring Onions...

Instead of roast pork or braised pork knuckles, DL did his "signature" Pork Belly with Salted Fish & Dried Chillies (ham-yue fah lam poe)... this went well with rice...

Ahhh... can't exclude the popular Braised Sea Cucumbers with Mushrooms & Dried Oysters...

For vegetables, I did the Lettuce with Abalone, sprinkled with chinese wolfberries...

This was the kids' favourite - Fried Battered Prawns... prawns being a must-have for CNY...

To spice up the dinner, since we had lots of roast pork, I cooked Curry Roast Pork and this was totally wiped out by the family, haha!


This Roast Goose was ordered from Spring Golden... at RM130 - it was really delicious! If you think goose is a big bird, you're wrong! I had expected a huge bird but it turned out to be just slightly bigger than the regular roast duck!

Ahhh... we also had my signature Crabmeat Sharksfin Soup... the whole pot was wiped off too!

This was how the spread looked like...

... and Koji was waiting for his share too!

19 comments:

Rebecca Saw said...

yea..ur finally back!!wondered wa happened! all the dishes looks real delish lehh..can pls share the recipes?

Ciki said...

that pig is massive!

PureGlutton said...

nomad: thanks for missing me :-) recipes of the dishes? hmmm... will do that later - most are just agak-agak style, lol! Hey, how come everytime i comment on your blog, i get a "Delivery Failure" notice in my mailbox?? and my comment doesn't get thru to your blog!

PureGlutton said...

ciki: yeah, had to give away lots of it, hehe!

J2Kfm said...

welcome back ... after that long hiatus from blogging. Post-CNY blues eh?

been some time since i had GOOD, tasty battered prawns. love them to bits. and i'm an adult, no less.

PureGlutton said...

J2Kfm: Thanks :-) ya, was pretty busy pre, during and post-CNY...caught up in some stuff along the way. Not as rajin lately as u people, hehe!

Babe_KL said...

wow such lavish meal! yumyum

VG said...

Welcome back Chris and What a spread! How come I got no invite to come and eat, meh???

Food Promotions said...

Missing CNY food. The roasted pig looks huge

www.foodpromotions.blogspot.com

Rebecca Saw said...

weii.where r u? been missin ur post!

ohh..really??didnt know abt the prob w the comments! aiyahh..i also dunno wat to do worr..

Selba said...

Wow.. one whole pig???

Koji is so cute with his CNY outfit :)

VG said...

My dear friend ~ a surprise awaits you at MY BLOG.

PureGlutton said...

babe_kl: you know la, CNY mah... so have to make some efforts, hehe!

PureGlutton said...

VG: Anytime u are coming this way, just give me a shout, then we'll do a spread for you :-) and thanks a million for the awards - will pick them up soon!

PureGlutton said...

FP: Yeah, it was a huge fler! :P

PureGlutton said...

Selba: Yes, the entire pig, lol! Since everyone was having new clothes for CNY, can't very well leave out Koji, right? :-))

PureGlutton said...

Nomad: Ya la, somethin wrong there - i have tried so MANY times to leave comments on your blog! Typed everything nicely, clicked "publish" but the comments couldn't go thru and I get a "delivery failure" in my email saying that it couldn't be delivered to your gmail a/c.

fatboybakes said...

WOW, you such an accomplished cook!!! my goodness, that goose looks SUPERB!!!! was it was it?? RM130 ah? that is one expensive bird!

PureGlutton said...

FBB: Not so accomplished lah... simple dishes only :) Ya, the goose was gooddd albeit a trifle expensive... but then it's CNY - watdaheck!