Friday, July 10, 2009

Nasi Lemak Daun Pisang

This morning I bought 45 packets of the above Nasi Lemak Daun Pisang.

Yes, 45 packs - not for myself lah - but for a breakfast meeting in my office. Some of my colleagues can easily polish off 2-3 packets each. Yes, it is that good! Also, because the packs are rather small lah. It's the regular no-frill basic nasi lemak pack - the best kind (in my books) >>> nasi, sambal, ikan bilis, cucumber& peanuts.

So... where did these little packs of banana leaf heaven come from? They are from this stall, helmed by Kak Nor, along Jalan SS21/34 in Damansara Utama. Just look out for this yellow+red umbrella under a tree, across from the car workshop.

When I first started buying from this stall, I thought that Kak Nor was a rather dour woman - she hardly smiled or even looked pleasant towards her customers. But after a couple more visits, I got to know her better and nowadays when she sees me alighting from my car, she gives me a welcoming smile.

Kak Nor has been selling her nasi lemak for at least 10 years now and she's a real pro in wrapping the banana leaves - every fold is precise, resulting in tall perfect cone-shaped packs.

She uses good quality ikan bilis (those from Pangkor) which are always freshly fried. I always ask for extra portions of ikan bilis and sambal... at a little bit of extra sen also lah, which I don't mind paying, because it's worth it!
Just look at this nasi lemak and tell me it isn't mouth-watering??!
If you want to buy in bulk, like I did this morning, please call her at the number below, to pre-order.
Ahhh... see, her son is a great advertisement for her nasi lemak, too!
My rating: 8/10

19 comments:

foodbin said...

sure looks mouthwatering to me!

Unknown said...

wish they hv this in abu dhabi...sigh

PureGlutton said...

foodbin: Yes it is!

PureGlutton said...

Derek: But your sifu oredi taught u to cook good nasi lemak... so u can just get some banana leaves & wrap it... i'm sure that will turn out nicer than any other nasi lemak, haha!

Unknown said...

PG..my sifu oso get nasi lemak from this lady..like today..she oso din cook ma..easier to buy ma if you have craving..hehe

Babe_KL said...

i like this kinda nasi lemak too, fuss free and simple. i usually get one of these if i have the urge for some nasi lemak in the morning :D one packet is just nice to satisfy my urge

Rebecca Saw said...

indeed the iakn bilis is the good quality kind! Hate those yucky dirty-lookin broken up pieces one...

thule a.k.a leo said...

economical way to have breakfast :)
I have my fav nasi lemak too... but of course, it's far far away back here in pahang... lol!!!

worldwindows said...

Wow, Pangkor anchovies. I think its the best.? Nasi Lemak is much better off with these.

Sugar Bean said...

Oh my, I miss this type of nasi lemak a lot. Haven't had them for ages! Used to have them when I was in college in KL, every morning I'll be looking forward to them!

Ciki said...

yum!

J2Kfm said...

simple, unpretentious. and sour face to boot. hahaha ...

Pete said...

The ikan bilis do look nice and crispy! Hah, SS21/34.....will check it out.....also check it out at TOTO...2134......he he he!LOL!

Anonymous said...

i love nasi lemak wrapped in banana leaf...very yummy!!!

PureGlutton said...

Babe_kl: Yes, this is the best kinda nasi lemak - just basic stuff!

TNG: Ya, she doesn't stinge on the bilis!

PureGlutton said...

Leo: Everyone has his/her own fave nasi lemak, hehe!

PureGlutton said...

W.Windows: Yes, pangkor bilis are the best - very tasty & crunchy!

PureGlutton said...

Sugar Bean: Ya, u can get hooked on them huh!

Ciki: Double yumms!

PureGlutton said...

Pete: Hehe, u really are a kaki-nombor huh! Hope u strike it!

chrisau: Yes, the banana leaf adds on its fragrance!