Friday, July 11, 2008

Cha Siew @ Spring Golden, Shah Alam

Spring Golden Restaurant
25 Jalan Sepadu C, 25/C Sect.25
Taman Perindustrian Axis
40400 Shah Alam
Open from 7.00am - 4.00pm
Tel: 019-3379319 (Max Lim)

It took me 1 year of living in Shah Alam to find out about this place, haha! I first read about this place in some food blogs but had never really bothered to find out where it was until recently when masak-masak provided some really explicit directions to get there! It was only then that I realise I live a few stones' throws away from this place - haiyaaa!

This place is famed for their melt-in-your-mouth Cha Siew and that was what we went there for! They truly lived up to their name. Succulent cuts of pork belly had been marinated with their secret recipe and grilled till the fats in the meat had almost melted and fused with the tender lean parts. The result is this...

You can see the thick caramelised sweet sauce glistening on the pieces of yummy Cha Siew - absolutely heaven! Don't waste the sauce - mop it up with your rice or noodles!

The sourish garlic chilli dip goes very well with the barbequed meat...
Besides Cha Siew, they also have other roast meats like Duck, Chicken, Siew Cheong (stuffed pork in intestine skin - kinda like sausages) and Roast Pork. If you fancy Roast Goose, they have that on every Monday at 12.00noon - that's what the waiter told us! We ordered a portion of their Roast Duck - which did not disappoint. The skin was crispy with the meat beneath tender and tasty...

We also tried their Roast Pork. The skin of the belly pork was roasted to delicious crispiness. You can ask for leaner cuts if you don't fancy too much fats in the meat.

They recommended their Pig Trotters in Black Vinegar (chee kiok choe) and we tried a mini portion of it. The trotters had been braised in black vinegar and ginger and I believe, left overnight too as the trotters were very tender and had totally absorbed the slightly-sweet tanginess of the vinegar.
I opted to have plain Wantan Noodles instead of rice...
...and like I said before, Lettuce was my favourite vegetables the past few weeks...haha!

For explicit directions on how to get there and also another review of this place, do check out:


My rating: 7/10

4 comments:

Reanaclaire said...

i shall pass over yr makan blog to my buddy in rawang..she is a food lover too.. how come u go everywhere to eat? each day different place>?

Precious Pea said...

I tried their outlet in Glenmarie. I guess i must try this one to compare. Which part of Shah Alam are you living?

PureGlutton said...

Claire - do let others know about my makan blog - good things are meant to be shared, haha! Ya, i like to try out different makan places, but not necessarily every day lah!
P.Pea: I haven't tried the Glenmarie outlet yet. I'm in Kemuning (that's why got so many food reviews here on Kemuning makan places!)...the owner of this cha siew place is considering relocating to Kemuning later!

boo_licious said...

Wow, am glad you love the char siu here and roast duck here. I really enjoy the char siu here, a bit far for me, but worth the long drive vs the glenmarie one which I find is mediocre.