Monday, October 13, 2008

W.I.P. Cafe @ Bangsar

W.I.P. Cafe
Lot G111, Ground Floor

Bangsar Shopping Center

285 Jalan Maarof

59000 Kuala Lumpur

Tel: 03-2094 2789



This is just a short post. Last evening we had a quick dinner at this place after a show at The Actors' Studio. We have been here a few times in the past but I had yet to blog about it.

W.I.P. stands for "Work In Progress" and it's owned by the same couple who owns "Soul'ed Out" in Hartamas - Fred & Michelle Choo. The decor of this cafe has undergone some changes since it first opened - sometime last year, I think... Back then, it was really in a state of "work in progress" - the walls, ceiling, floor were kinda "unfinished" and their crew wore overalls - just like workmen.

Now the place has somewhat spruced up... even the tables and chairs seem to have been replaced with bright shiny metallic ones... the walls and ceiling now look "done" and their crew now wear red t-shirts instead of overalls. The lighting remains kinda dim though.

Anyway, the reason why I said this is gonna be a short post is because we only had 2 dishes last evening. Generally, their menu is similar to "Soul'ed Out"... but the prices are a bit higher.

I had their Baked Chicken Roulade (RM26). When it was served, I was kinda shocked with its very small portion. The dish consisted of 3 small pieces chicken thigh rolled in ham, sitting atop baked potato slices with a few pieces of "siew pak choy" leaves. There were 3-4 cherry tomatoes circling the chicken & potatoes. Taste-wise, I would say it's just average - this being a "main dish" the portion served was worse than an appetizer.


LL ordered the Seafood Aglio with Spaghetti (RM35). Just look at the portion and tell me if it's worth the price? It's just spaghetti served with prawns, a few small pieces scallops and topped with 2 small green-shell mussels. LL commented it tasted "nice" (I stole a bite and didn't think it was anything spectacular) but .... even though there was pasta in the dish, it hardly lined a quarter of LL's tummy! Maybe they think the few small pieces of scallops justified the price?


OK... I guess when you're in Bangsar, you have to pay Bangsar prices... so go there only if you think you wanna be seen in a "hip" joint. Now, your interpretation of "hip" is as good as mine...

I think if I wanna eat the same kinda food, I'd head over to Soul'ed Out.

My rating: 5/10

12 comments:

fatboybakes said...

yeah, i wasnt impressed with the food there....pricey too hor!

Precious Pea said...

Wah...for those on diet with fat wallet??

Anonymous said...

wah.....nice, but expensive leh. I avoid Bangsar then..haha

J2Kfm said...

hmm, the other day we were somewhere near Hartamas, and Souled Out, was well, SOLD out, crowded to the brim,

but my fren mentioned the prices is higher than average, and the quality of the food so-so.

ended up at Paddington. =P

Tummythoz said...

Shocking. I don't remember such XS sizes but then again, haven't been there for the longest time.

Bangsar-bAbE said...

I'm never tempted to try the food there. Especially after hearing not so good reviews about it.

For such puny portions, it's not worth the money!

PureGlutton said...

FBB: Yes, they are on the pricier side. Pricier never mind la... but the portions also so kiam-siap!

PureGlutton said...

P.Pea: I dunno about "on diet" lah... but you're right about the "fat wallet" part, hehe!

PureGlutton said...

chrisau: no need to avoid Bangsar totally - there are other reasonably-priced food places around also!

PureGlutton said...

j2kfm: Hmmm.. i think maybe they're getting complacent with their success...but still, lots of ppl like to hang out in Soul'ed Out.

PureGlutton said...

tummythoz: yeah, really XS portions... maybe a sign of the times eh?

PureGlutton said...

bangsar-babe: Yeah, nothing fantastic really... in terms of pricing & portions or even taste. But then, still quite a good crowd there.