Monday, August 23, 2010

Purple Angkoos

Gosh, I must have been bitten by the "angkoo bug"! I have been researching and experimenting on various types of angkoo after my first attempt at this delicious nyonya kueh. Encouraged by the initial results, I decided to try a different version of that kueh.

So, last weekend I made a purple variant of the Angkoo.

P1040722

The recipe was adjusted to not use 100% glutinuous flour. Instead, to get the all-natural purple colour, I added this...

P1040712

Yes, that's sweet potatoes, of the purple kind!

No artificial colouring was used - the lovely purple shade of the kueh came entirely from the sweet potatoes.

Purple Angkoo

The kuehs looked lighter in colour before steaming...

Purple Angkoo-1

After steaming, they turned a darker shade...

P1040727

P1040738

So what's the difference when using sweet potatoes in the recipe? Well, I find they shape better, the patterns from the mould were more defined and the dough is less chewy (doesn't stick to the teeth!)

P1040718

I'm excited to try other colour variants later... orange from pumpkins or from the orange-sweet-potatoes and of course the popular green pandan! And then there's also the black sesame version. As for fillings... LL has been asking for peanuts - that will be the filling for the next batch!

Email or pm me if you want the recipe for this purple version :-)

18 comments:

Sean said...

Wow, a new generation of angkoos ... Hmmm, do u think a mars candy bar-themed angkoo would be possible? Chocolate flavored Kueh on the outside, with nougat and caramel inside? :D

J said...

Ooh. So pretty! :)
What's next?
(I think peanut filling will be good too, so I second LL!)

PureGlutton said...

Sean: Hmmm... your idea is worth considering! Let me research more on that and see ;-)

PureGlutton said...

J: Yeah, I better make some peanuts ones soon to stop the pestering, hehe!

thule a.k.a leo said...

Can I PM you my address and the number of angkoos??? LOL!

PureGlutton said...

Leo: Can ;-)

Ciki said...

seriously gorgeous la.. beh tahan!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Very pretty! What a pity I don't like angkoo, or I'd be running over to your place now! For now, I'll just admire them from afar. :-)

vialentino said...

woah...u r good in making there...nice.

Kenny Mah said...

Unlike Lemongrass, I totally love angkoo kueh! Devil likes the type with peanut filling, but I like all types of filling. :)

These look really good, the colour is all the more startling cos it's natural. I'd rather have these than mooncakes anyday! :D

Cheryl said...

So beautiful. You're so talented luv :D. I wish I know how to make ...

jason said...

Pretty little darlings! When u make the peanut version, save some for meee!

PureGlutton said...

Ciki, LL, Vialentino: Thank you! :)

PureGlutton said...

LFB: Thanks :-)) OK, you and Devil will be my angkoo-tasters!

PureGlutton said...

Cheryl: Thank you :) It's not very hard to make these lah. Just need some practice, that's all.

PureGlutton said...

Jason: Oohh, you are another peanut lover, ehh! :)

Xara said...

Hey gurl, you're killing me with those purple angkoos...my favorite kueh in my favorite color!!! They look too pretty to eat. Can't wait to try them - in all colors and fillings. Promise promise promise to make them for me when i go to KL :-)....Just angkoo dreams for now.

PureGlutton said...

Xara: Hehe.. yeah, i realise purple really IS your colour, gal! OK, i promise u will have so much of these angkoos when you are back that you will be spilling angkoos from your ears - how about that? :P
And possibly have angkoo nightmares after that too, LOL!